Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Jo-Na Williams, Esq. - Empowering Artists, One Client At A Time

Have you ever had something to do that you simply dreaded getting done? You know – the kind of thing that hangs like an albatross around your neck, inflicting all kinds of mental agony as thoughts of it ebb and flow in your mind? Where relief, albeit temporary, comes only when you allow yourself to imagine how wonderful it would feel if somehow, someway you didn’t have to do it? The kind of thing you put off doing right up to the last second before the second that would make it too late? But then… with a knot in your stomach… and a lump in your throat… you actually get it done… and the process of doing it turns out to be one of the best experiences of your life? No? That’s never happened to you? Well, it happened to me just the other day and I have to tell you - it feels pretty great! Let me explain.


One of the final assignments I received for the class I recently completed on my journey to a Masters degree required that I interview an entertainment business expert working in the industry. This individual had to be an attorney specializing in some branch of entertainment and he/she had to be someone I did not know. When I initially read about the assignment at the start of the course I could feel panic begin to swell inside of me. I am exponentially an introvert; something like to the twelfth power, so when a situation calls for me to reach out to a perfect stranger, and ask that person, who doesn’t know me from Eve if he/she would help me with “my homework” by letting me interview them for my blog, it causes me some major concern. I began to think of how random it would seem to whomever I contacted. What would they think of me? Would they even respond? However, as a multitude of questions continued to swirl around in my head, I sent a message via email to entertainment attorney Jo-Na Williams, Esq., owner of the Artist Empowerment Firm located in New York City. I am so grateful I did.


Attorney Williams responded warmly to my request and we set a time to conduct a telephone interview. At the start of our conversation I could tell that she was unlike any lawyer I had ever met– especially in the business of entertainment; she was so gracious, friendly and kind. Immediately I began to settle down within myself and enjoy what turned out to be a wonderful exchange. So much of what I always believed to be true about being an artist in the music business was confirmed during our time together – I felt so encouraged and inspired. Below is an excerpt from our conversation – after reading it I hope you will feel the same.


Sebastian: Hello Jo-Na! Thanks again for agreeing to speak with me and for taking time to contribute to my assignment – I really appreciate it more than you know.


Jo-Na Williams: Oh, really it’s really no problem. Thank you for thinking of me!


S: I absolutely love the name of your firm! It’s one of the things that caused me to want to meet you when I read about you on one of your client’s Facebook page. How’d you come up with that?


JW: Well, that’s what it’s always been about… Helping artists realize their power and know that they don’t have to be victims. Artists need to know their worth and understand that without them there is no industry! I want to expose them to their options so that they see there are other ways than what they’ve been shown.


S: Tell me a little about your background – how did you get into law?


JW: Well, I used to be an artist myself. I started singing when I was five years old. My family is from Michigan, but I grew up in the south. I graduated from University of Michigan and then I moved to Boston to pursue a career in performing art administration and large scale event planning, which I did for ten years. I then decided to attend Suffolk University of Law and enrolled in the 4-year night program because I was working during the day. Because of my background, I never doubted that entertainment would be my focus.


S: Did you always intend to have your own firm?


JW: I actually worked in another law firm – briefly. Just long enough to see what I didn’t want to do! I did not want have to chase money or compromise my morals to be successful. Now, I do not follow a traditional model – I want to change the environment of entertainment law. Right now it is not seen as very positive.


S: Well, your clients seem to be extremely pleases with having you on their team. How is your practice different?


JW: Well, I’m different because I really don’t care about the industry – I care about the artists. I care that they feel safe and protected. Lawyers have a lot of power. We are given all access into the lives of people and folks put their trust in us. I refuse to be a part of hurting artists. Trust is imperative – I won’t even sign on to work with an artist I don’t personally believe in.


S: Oh my goodness! As an artist, hearing what you are saying is like music to my ears! Actually, as I listen to you speak, it’s almost like I’m listening to myself – I have been saying many of the same things for years to the artists I’ve consulted. This is so good! What kinds of cases do you handle most often?


JW: I don’t do any litigation. I handle negotiation and strategy development, contract drafting, business, trademark and copyright registrations and social media. Basically, an artist will come to me with a vision of what they want to do and where they want to be, and I help them find the holes. I help artists draw the blueprints for their careers.


S: What types of artists do you work with?


JW: The artists that I work with are more seasoned. They’ve been working a while. They may have had a CD out or they do a lot of shows but they are not newbies. These artists have a vision for their careers – I do not create the visions – I help the artists develop a strategy so that their vision is realized.


S: What are some of the mistakes you see artists make most often?


JW: Many artists are fearful of negotiating an offer that is made to them. Artist don't realize that an offer is just that - an offer. It's not a promise and no one is under any obligation. Often artists think that if they ask questions, ask for something different or even ask for time to think about the deal or have their attorney look over the contract, the opportunity will go away. I say if someone has a problem with you having your attorney look over an offer, walk away because something is not right.


The other thing that I see artist fail to do is register copyrights. Many artists don't see the benefits of registering their work and it's so easy to do and very inexpensive in comparison to registering a trademark.


S: That is an excellent point about negotiating - very interesting. And I have to say, I'm shocked that artists are still neglecting to register the copyright for their work - I see it all the time as well. So, tell me, what do you love and/or hate most about your job?


JW: I love knowing that I am helping artists get their art out. I like seeing artists realize their power. I don’t like the closed-mindedness of the industry. Having a different prospective makes it difficult sometimes. It’s like experience verses change – people will rather stay with the same models and methods, even if they’re miserable, then embrace change or a different point of view.


S: What is some advice that you would give to emerging and up-and-coming artists?


JW: I would say do the art that you want to do and the money will follow. People subscribe to your authenticity so make sure that your message is true and that it is authentic.


S: Wow, what a wonderful way to end! I am so happy that we have had this time to chat. It has really been a blessing. I don’t believe in coincidence, so I know that we will speak again in the near future. I feel like I have to have you on my team! I am working on a few things right now – getting everything in order and finishing school but after graduation I will be in touch!


JW: Well, do what you have you to do and when you’re ready, give me a call. I’m not going anywhere!


S: Will do – for sure!

1 comment:

  1. aww thank you so much for this post. It was a great conversation and I hope you graduate with honors!!!

    ReplyDelete